Data is now being called the oil of the 21st century, an immensely untapped resource needing to be protected. How does your business plan on protecting its most valuable asset? Protecting your data must use a multi-pronged approach and extends from internal policies and training to technologies employed. Here we'll discuss one of these valuable technologies, the cloud. Using the cloud, files and data can be stored off-site and accessed securely and easily from anywhere. The current climate has proven the need for remote access and the cloud innately offers this ability.
Advantages of Cloud Services
A cloud service stores your files and data in a secure data centre off-site. This relieves you of having to maintain the servers, update software, and ensure that hardware is functioning correctly. When you select a quality cloud service provider, you gain the following advantages:
- Safe Storage in Case of Disaster. The cloud keeps files safe during natural disasters, such as fires, floods, hurricanes, earthquakes or a global pandemic as the data can be stored off-site in a secure data centre or across several locations in disaster recovery sites. The current COVID-19 crisis has pushed many to remote work. Employees can save their files from anywhere to the cloud, making this information accessible even if their laptop is broken or stolen.
- Redundancy. Quality service providers have multiple data centres to provide redundant optional locations and ensures your firm's data is accessible when you need it. This protects you in disaster situations or if your data is compromised by a hacker. You will have backups in several locations ready to go live. With an increase in hackers targeting remote workers, having a redundant infrastructure protects you from the potential data loss a hacker may cause.
- Encryption. When transferring personal information, such as credit card information or personal client details, the most critical point is the internet connection between your computer system and your cloud system. If you encrypt information before you send it, you prevent others from being able to use the data. A managed service provider can provide you with data traffic built into the service. Currently, we have more people working from home than ever before, this factors in a lot of unknowns. They may not be using the most secure internet connection or the physical security of their laptop may be less than desirable. With encryption we can take the first step in ensuring a strong security stance and protect corporate data.
- Office Management. Software critical to your office can be made available in the cloud. Additionally, cloud software is updated for you whenever a patch or updates become available. It’s also accessible anywhere you have an internet connection, making it easier for employees to work remotely with the software they need to do their job and the most up to date security.
- Information Management. Employees can obtain client and case information easily over the cloud. You can even set access levels, so information is only available to parties of interest and remove access with the click of your mouse to those that should no longer have access. Making data management easy from anywhere.
How to Ensure Security
As you know, client, financial and other important information must be kept secure. The type of organization you are and the type of data you collect will vary and therefore dictate the compliance requirements you may be required to meet or the commitments you must uphold. When selecting a cloud service company, make sure it meets compliance standards by asking about the following:
- The Data Centre. The servers that hold your files should be in a data centre with restricted access. Check that the company you select has quality data centre(s) with strict security measures.
- Encryption. High-quality software encrypts files, so they’re safe as they migrate from your system to the cloud. Your private cloud service should offer encryption software as part of its service package.
- Confidentiality. Clients, staff and others expect their information to be kept private. Your reputation depends on sensitive handling of data. Your cloud service provider should keep information restricted but easily accessible to those your organization has granted access to.
Cloud Carib’s private cloud storage is kept in a data centre that has multiple levels of security. It’s important to note that some countries and industries have recommended guidelines that pertain to the use of cloud storage. To find out more about our cloud services and how you can safely migrate to the cloud, contact us.